January 20, 2009

M. Chapoutier Belleruche Côtes du Rhône 2006

We bought this one because I was looking for the white version which was highly recommended by Wine Access magazine (89 points, under $20, available in Alberta - perfect). We haven't found that one yet, but since this was on the shelf we gave it a try.

The red Maison Chapoutier is a blend of grenache and syrah, and is not too full bodied, all of which is I think typical for a Côtes du Rhône. It is fairly acidic, too much for my taste which keeps me from giving it top marks, but not very tannic and it's a little meatier than most from the region (where, I just learned, they have been making wine for over 2000 years). I'm sure this would complement lamb or game dishes. Quite nice, and a pretty good value as well. We may have to bring this to a dinner tomorrow night hosted by a friend who (a) usually serves us roast lamb, and (b) almost exclusively drinks French wine. Definitely a step up from the cat on the egg.

86 points. $14.79 at Superstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment